Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sundara Ramasamy - 1 year hence

My friend, Still I want you
to tell some one
who hasn't heard about me
the man who was trying
to make poems come alive
has gone from this world.
On telling this
if a drop or two
of your tears
fall on this earth
that's enough for me.


From my translation of Sundara Ramasamy's poem


From Left to Right : Prabanjan, Asokamithran, Sundara Ramasamy (with cap), Paul Zaccharia, Gnanak koothan

Tamil writer Sundara Ramasamy passed away on 15th October last year. He had a great impact on contemporary Tamil Literary world, even his critics would agree to that. The above photo was taken during Asokamithran 50 felicitation function held in Chennai on Feb 2005.

4 comments:

Nandhu said...

i was pleasantly surprised to see this poem's translation on your blog today. great going!

Chenthil said...

And I was more than surprised when I learnt yesterday that you are his grandson :-)

Nilu said...

chen -- that was a really pedestrian effort. mathhu.

Anonymous said...

sentil. plz dont translate further.
this compltely collapses the feel he created. plz plz.

gkarthy@gmail.com

http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=23848618