Monday, March 06, 2006

The new mall - Chennai Citi Center

A new mall has been added to Chennai Landscape. Chennai Citi Center, is in Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai, and about half a kilometer from the Beach. The Life Style store was inaugurated on 4th March. The Mall is yet to be completed, only two stores have come up there, Life Style and Land Mark.

It is as big as one phase of the Spencer Plaza. The important difference I noticed was that only big brands seem to have taken up space in this mall - Genesis, Basics, Louis Phillipe, Titan, Helvetica, Pepe Jeans in addition to Landmark and Lifestyle. The small one room shops that dot Spencers are missing. So, I think they are trying to position this as an upmarket mall.

Lifestyle store is huge, with three floors and more space than the earlier store at Alwarpet. Lighting is a little too bright, but moving around is much more easier. Then mens wear section has been beefed up with more choices.

Landmark here is thankfully has more focus on books than the gifts/cds/useless things stuff. The books section is as big as the one in Spencers, but with less frills. May be I didn't notice it earlier, I saw this category called Literary Fiction. With Muarakami, Marquez, Kerouac, Kafka all in one bay. I settled for Kafka on the Shore by Murakami.

Actress Asin had inaugurated the store on Friday. But with my sense of timing when I visited the mall on Sunday, the only celebrity shopper I noticed was Suhasini Maniratnam with her son.

12 comments:

Lg said...

I was there yesterday too and the only celebrity I saw was Srinidhi Chidambaram. My take on the mall coming right up at the blog.

Chenthil said...

I was there from 11.30 - 01.00 PM, what time were you there? Anyhow I wouldn't have identified Srinithi Chidambaram.

Lg said...

I was there from 3:00 - 4:45pm. Managed to cover every aisle to get an idea of what was on offer. Pure window shopping though.

tris said...

Thought you liked Suhasini......

Nilu said...

liking Suhasini does not translate into "wating to see her". wanting to see has nothing to do with liking.

Chenthil said...

Tilo, I do like Suhasini. But that doesn't preclude me wanting to look at Asin :-).

Kaps said...

I believe the Lifestyle outlet in Citi Centre is India's biggest department store / retail store.

Chenthil said...

Kaps, I think it is Lifestyle's largest store, not India's largest.

Anonymous said...

YES ITS VERY GOOD TO SEE QUITE A NUMBER OF NEW MALLS COMING UP IN CHENNAI.CHENNAI IS IN DESPERATE NEED FOR SOME WORLD CLASS INTERNATIONAL MALLS WITH MULTIPLEXES.DEMAND HERE IS WAY OVER WHATS LITTLE IS ON SUPPLY.THE ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS FOR THE PEOPLE ARE SOO LIMITED.PEOPLE ARE WAITING ANXIOUSLY FOR THE NEW MALLS AND MULTPLEXES TO OPEN SOON.I HOPE ALL DEVELOPERS ALL OVER INDIA ARE READING THIS AND WILL PAY HEED.THERE IS AN ENORMOUS UNMET DEMAND FOR GOOD QUALIY ORGANISED RETAIL(MALLS) WITH ENTERTAINMENT(FOODCOURTS,MULTIPLEXES) IN CHENNAI.IT TRUELY HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR BEING THE MALL CAPITAL OF INDIA.ONLY NOTE WHEN DEVELOPING SUCH A PROJECT KINDLY DONT FORGET TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE PARKING TO COVER THE MALL,FOOD COURT AND MULTIPLEX ELSE THE EXPERIENCE FOR EVERYONE WOULD END UP BEING A SOUR ONE.

Anonymous said...

What Chennai needs is some Dancing bars and Mujra.. will suit the entertainment needs of the Chennaites

Anonymous said...

Guys could anyone tell me what does citi center offer? i m here on a visit and need to go around..please advise...

Anonymous said...

I was there once. Nothing special. It didn't impress me, really. What I didn't like there was as good fish in the sea as ever came out of it. I do prefer small cozy stores.