Saturday, April 12, 2014

Tagore, Neruda and me

While reading Pablo Neruda's celebrated "twenty love poems and a song of despair", I was pleasantly surprised to find a mention of Rabindranath Tagore. Neruda writes that poem no. 16 is a paraphrase of song no. 30 from Tagore's "The Gardener". I have not read that book, but Project Gutenberg had it. So here is Tagore's original poem, Neruda's paraphrased one, and my Tamil translation of Tagore.

Song no. 30 The Gardener, Rabindranath Tagore

You are the evening cloud floating in the sky of my dreams.
 I paint you and fashion you ever with my love longings.
 You are my own, my own, Dweller in my endless dreams!

 Your feet are rosy-red with the glow of my heart's desire,
   Gleaner of my sunset songs!
 Your lips are bitter-sweet with the taste of my wine of pain.
 You are my own, my own, Dweller in my lonesome dreams!

 With the shadow of my passion have I darkened your eyes, Haunter
   of the depth of my gaze!
 I have caught you and wrapt you, my love, in the net of my music.
 You are my own, my own, Dweller in my deathless dreams!
 
    என் கனவு வானில் மிதக்கும் அந்தி மேகம் நீ
    என் விரக தாபத்தில் உன்னை உருவகித்து வண்ணம் பூசுகிறேன்
    என்னவளே நீ என்னவளே, என் முடிவற்ற கனவுகளில் வசிப்பவளே!

    என் மோகத்தீயில் உன் உள்ளங்கால் சிவந்தது,
    என் அந்திக் கவிதைகளைத் திருடியவளே!
    என் வலியெனும் மதுவின் சுவையால் உன் உதடுகள் கசப்புடன் இனித்தது.
    என்னவளே நீ என்னவளே, என் தனிமைக் கனவுகளில் வசிப்பவளே!

    என் மோகத்தின் நிழலால் உன் விழிகளில் கருமை கூட்டிவிட்டேன்,
    என் பார்வையின் ஆழத்தை ஆள்பவளே!
    என் இசையென்னும் வலையில் உன்னைப் பிடித்துக் கட்டிவிட்டேன்.
    என்னவளே நீ என்னவளே, என் மரணமற்ற கனவுகளில் வசிப்பவளே!


Poem No. 16 , Twenty Love poems and a song of despair, Pablo Neruda

 In my sky at twilight you are like a cloud
and your form and colour are the way I love them.
You are mine, mine, woman with sweet lips
and in your life my infinite dreams live.

The lamp of my soul dyes your feet,
the sour wine is sweeter on your lips,
oh reaper of my evening song,
how solitary dreams believe you to be mine!

You are mine, mine, I go shouting it to the afternoon's
wind, and the wind hauls on my widowed voice.
Huntress of the depth of my eyes, your plunder
stills your nocturnal regard as though it were water.

You are taken in the net of my music, my love,
and my nets of music are wide as the sky.
My soul is born on the shore of your eyes of mourning.
In your eyes of mourning the land of dreams begin. 

No comments: