This is almost one month old , but I didn't know the details till I read this post by Badri(Tamil blog). Chennai Police have issued strict guidelines for Internet Browsing centers and are closing down the Internet centers that don't follow these.
The guidelines are straight out of 1984,
1. All browsing centers should be registered with the Police Dept.
2. The centers must maintain a register with details of the customer's name, which PC he is using and for how long.
3. Customer's address details has to be maintained by the browsing center. It is the responsibility of the borwsign center administrator to ensure that the address is correct, in other words he has to check with some photo ID card and only then allow the customer to browse.
4. Each PC should have spyware, collecting details of all the sites visited by the custimer. This should be handed over to the Police whenever they ask for it.
5. No closed cabins allowed.
6. No "banned sites" should be seen. There is no clear specification of "banned sites", but they seem to include porn sites.
All this is because somebody sent a threatening mail to the President of India from a browsing center in Tirunelveli.
This is not a Government Order covering the entire state, but issued by the Police Commissioner for the city of Chennai only. Makes me wonder what would happen if a Larry Flynt type entrepreneur sets shop in Chennai.