Monday, May 16, 2016

Why do I write?


Tamil E magazine Padhaakai is running a series where writers try to answer the question "Why do I write?". I was surprised when they asked me too. This is the post I wrote for them (in Tamil). Since I am a translator, am translating that post here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been writing at various places online for the last 14 years. I didn't write anything before that, except for poems in my scrap book.

Even in the internet space, my creative output has mostly been translations - 4 short stories from English to Tamil, about 20 poems from various languages to Tamil and more than 150 classical Tamil poems from Tamil to English.

If a writer is one who has sold a piece and been paid, then I am not a writer. Probably 200 people read what I write. Four or five comment. If I publish my translations as a book it might sell about 20 copies. So what prompts me to write?

A desire to share with the world what I have understood, is the answer to that question. I am not worried about whether it is of any use to the world. It gives me pleasure, so I write. There's a bit of arrogance in this, I accept. I do feel on cloud nine when people whom I respect appreciate my work.

Writing is not my profession. I write in between my work schedule. I don't need a specific place for me to write. Most of my writing is done during my weekly train journey. My writing style is to prepare a mental draft before I start writing. I hardly write in paper, it is mostly laptop or mobile phone.

If you ask me whether I can be without writing, yes I can. But there will be a sense of incompleteness in my life. I think my writing completes me, makes me a better person. That's why I write. I write for myself. I also write because of the desire to let the world know my perspective.

3 comments:

al falah mj said...

nice

Maani kamili said...

Usually I do not read post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice article.

Digital marketing company in Chennai


Sachin said...

So completely agree with you on - "writing completes me". Loved reading this post!