Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Amrita Pritam's poem - a translation

 A censored poem
After many years, a sudden meeting
Both of us experienced a kind of nervousness

A whole night stretched ahead of us
But one half of the poem remained confined in one corner
The other half, in another

Then, the next morning
We met like torn pieces of paper
I took his hand in my hand
And he took my arms in his

And we both laughed liked censors
Having kept the paper on the desk beside us
We scratched out the entire poem written on it
             
தணிக்கை செய்யப்பட்ட கவிதை

பல வருடங்களுக்குப் பின் எதிர்பாரா சந்திப்பு
நம் இருவருக்குமிடையே ஒருவித சஞ்சலம்

நம் முன் நீண்டிருந்தது ஒரு முழு இரவு
ஆனால் கவிதையின் ஒரு பகுதி ஒரு மூலையில் சுருண்டிருந்தது
மறு பகுதி, மற்றொரு மூலையில்

மறுநாள் காலையில்
கிழிந்த காகிதத் துண்டுகளாய் ஒன்று சேர்ந்தோம்
நான் உன் கையையும்
நீ என் கையையும் பற்றியபடி

தணிக்கைத்துறை அதிகாரிகளைப் போல் சிரித்துக்கொண்டே
பக்கத்து மேசை மேல் வைத்த காகிதத்தில்
எழுதியிருந்த முழுக் கவிதையயும் கோடிட்டு அடித்தோம்

This poem was written in Urdu by Amrita Pritam for Sahir Ludhianvi.My hindi movie knowledge  is limited to about 10-15 blockbuster movies - so never knew of Sahir Ludhianvi or Amrita Pritam. A friend sent me a link to this excerpt from a book on Sahir Ludhianvi.

The article doesn't mention who translated it into English, so I don't know whom to credit it to. I also don't know the title Amrita Pritam gave to this poem. The title "A censored poem" is mine. The metaphor of separated lovers as two parts of a poem was powerful. So I translated it.  I consciously changed it to first person from third person. Also made it gender neutral - so this is more of a trans creation than translation.
Kayee barson ke baad achaanak ek mulaaqat

No comments: