Friday, September 16, 2005

Losing My Veganity (I mean vegetarianity) and other tales from UK

Read the title carefully, it is not what you think it is. The main event for me in the London conference was losing my veganity (vegetarianity) of 30 years. The cocktail party was going on with waiters moving around with short eats. I spied a plate of cheese rolls with pink and yelloow stuffings. Must be strawberry or something like that I thought. But the pink one didn't taste like strwaberry. So I tried the orange one, that too tasted a little sour. And then I found out that I had eaten ham (pink) and salmon (yellow). Well, what to do? Just washed it down with Champagne.

In other events, visited a foreign country (Scotland) for the first time. I have been to Dubai and Singapore, but those are places where there are some foreign nationalities amongst Indians. London was no better. Only on landing in Glasgow did I feel like being in a foreign country. The architecture and the country side of Scotland are just beyond belief. And people say that Edinburgh is far more prettier than Glasgow. In case I rustle up enough money, will definitely go on a holiday to Scotland.

Landed up in London and reached my destinations without much hassles, thanks to the directions given by Chakra. Talked to him over phone and had planned to meet with him and Dubukku on wednesday, but from wednesday his phone is going to voice mail. So couldn't meet him. Chakra will definitely meet you the next time you are here. Dubukku, I had brought Brothers Karamazov (Dostyoyevsky's novel) for discussion. Sadly, we have to do it some other time.

Had Coffee with the Queen and had a free wheeling discussion on many things.

That is the half way report. Am leaving to Leeds shortly and from there to Dubai. Service will continue from Dubai.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What??? you were a vegan for 30 years???? Find that hard to believe... coming as it does from a Chennaivasi... are you sure you didnt mean vegetarian??

Chakra said...

Chenthil, I got your msg left in the voice mailbox. You had asked me to call "this number" but your number was withheld. :( I didn't have any other way of reaching you as well and sadly, my mobile is not getting any reception in the place i sit at work.

Unknown said...

Good job you got the directions from Chakra and not from Dubukku :) And was that word veganity there just to sensationalise the headline or are you really a vegan. I have been considering it for a while now, but the thought of giving up Thayir saadham is kind of scary :(

Nilu said...

You say vegan and seem to imply eating cheese was part of it - am not following.

Please explain if you were a Vegan or a Vegetarian....

And if you were Vegan in Chennai, I would be impressed as hell ;)

Chenthil said...

I am a vegetarian guys, just used veganity for the nice sound. You cannot be a vegan in chennai. It was just to sensationalise.

Chakra, sorry didn't no about that. I thought the number would've been displayed.

Anonymous said...

sad. Chakra called me on wednesday to check if you had called and he didn't have a clue abt your number.


Uma - HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT? :) I ask why?? Have you believed the myth started out by Guru. Just too curious why you said so.

Unknown said...

Dubukks - guru mattumaa sonaaru? UK bloggers ellarum appreciating your direction telling skills :D

Anonymous said...

Uma - Still dont get why ppl say so.

Chenthil - Karamazov kondu vandhthukku bathila karachevu kondu vanthirukkalam. eppidiyavathu meet panni iruppen ungala :)

Premalatha said...

first day in UK i ate smoked salmon. I also ordered "ham (or baccon?) on beans" for breakfast without knowing what "ham(/baccon)" is. I hesitated to eat pizza as it looked like animal fat.. after a big explanation about cheese etc., I did eat pizza, but felt sick for the rest of the day. I lived on juice and crisps for a week!!!!

:)